Thought-provoking questions to ask yourself to discover and love who you are
For many of us, we are our own worse critics. Which is terrible when you think about it.
You spent the most time with yourself. Think about it, you’re with your thoughts on a daily basis, 24/7 which is more than your best friend, family members, or even your significant other!
It’s going to really hard to live your best life and have the self confidence you desire if you’re spending a lot of time hating yourself. So it’s time to put a stop to the negative self-talk and work towards loving yourself unconditionally!
The ultimate goal is to have healthy self-esteem and a happy life! Self love journal prompts are one of the best ways to start your self-love journey.
What is self-love?
First things first, self-love is the practice of taking care of yourself, both physically and emotionally. It’s making sure that your needs are met in a healthy way and recognizing that you are worthy of love and respect. You’re a human being who is going to make mistakes and have negative experiences but it’s important to be comfortable in your own skin so that you can get back up and try again.
Self love is an important foundation for any kind of relationship, whether it’s with romantic relationships throughout your life, family members, or friends.
If you don’t love yourself, it’s going to be difficult to have healthy relationships with others.
Without self-love, your mental health is going to suffer and you’re less likely to leave your comfort zone because you don’t have the confidence to believe you can do it.
Self-love and self-awareness are essential for self-discovery
By asking yourself some simple self-love questions, you can start to uncover aspects of yourself that you never knew before. The goal is to grow in your understanding of who you are and to learn to love your true self.
By practicing self-love and accepting all parts of yourself (um, hello shadow), you will become more self-aware naturally. And self awareness is key to making positive changes in your life and reaching your full potential.
With self awareness, you’ll have an increase in emotional intelligence and you’ll be able to make better decisions because you know yourself and what you need. Check out the 5 key emotional intelligence skills here.
52 Self-Love Questions to ask yourself
Here is the ultimate list of self-discovery questions to get you started! I would suggest using these as journal prompts on your journey to self acceptance and self love. Self-reflection questions are a great place to start so you aren’t staring at a blank page!
To truly discover who you are, it is important to ask deep questions that will force you to turn within. Try to be as honest and vulnerable as possible for this exercise to truly work.
So without further ado,
1) Why do I deserve love and respect?
2) How can I work on accepting compliments?
3) What are some things that I love about myself?
4) What aspects of myself do I need to work on accepting?
5) How can I show myself more compassion?
6) When was the last time I treated myself with kindness?
7) What are some things I need to do for myself in order to feel better?
8) List the things you do to work on your personal growth? What are some activities you could add?
9) List your top 5 non-physical qualities you love about yourself
10) What kind of person do you want to be? Describe your ideal self.
11) How can I start making time for things that make me happy?
12) What are some things I need to let go of in order to move forward?
13) How can I become more mindful of my thoughts and feelings?
14) What is causing me to stress right now and how can I deal with it in a healthy way?
15) What are some things I am grateful for in my life?
16) How can I start showing myself more love and affection?
17) What are some self care activities that I need to do in order to take care of myself better?
18) How can I reduce the amount of negative self-talk I use?
19) When was the last time I did something nice for myself?
20) What is one goal I would like to work on for myself? (psst here’s my post on self love goals)
21) How can I start making more time for self-care?
22) Do you talk about your physical appearance in a negative or positive way?
23) What are some things that I do that would be bad habits? Why?
24) What are some things I need to do in order to feel more balanced?
25) How can I work on being more patient with myself?
26) Think about the last challenge I had to face. How did I respond? Is that how I would like to respond to the next challenge?
27) How can I start making healthier choices for myself?
28) What are some things I can do to nurture my mind, body, and soul?
29) What is my love language (physical touch, quality time, gifts, words of affirmation, acts of service)? How can I show myself love using this?
30) How can I work on being more present in the moment?
31) How can I better connect with myself emotionally?
32) What is something I need to forgive myself for?
33) Do I feel guilty or like a bad person if I put myself first?
34) What is something I need to let go of in order to move on?
35) What would make me feel more loved and supported right now?
36) How can I better nurture my relationships?
37) What is something I need to do for myself today?
38) What are some things I can do to reduce anxiety in my life?
39) How can I work on building more self-confidence?
40) What are some things I need to do in order to love myself more?
41) What is something positive I can focus on about myself today?
42) How much sleep am I getting every night? How can I improve my quality of sleep?
43) Who is my role model? What qualities do they have that I admire?
44) When was the last time I did something fun for myself?
45) What are some things I need to do in order to feel more relaxed?
46) What special talents do I have?
47) When I accept myself without judgment, what does my morning routine look like?
48) What are the first thoughts that come to mind when I wake up?
49) What do I value? Why?
50) Am I able to set boundaries and say ‘no’ to things that don’t serve me?
51) Do I find myself saying ‘sorry’ all the time even when it isn’t justified?
52) How comfortable am I being vulnerable with my loved ones? What are some ways I could be more open and honest?
Loving yourself is a journey, and these self-love questions are just a starting point. It’s important to be patient with yourself and to keep exploring. Keep asking yourself new questions and digging deeper into your answers. The more you know about yourself, the easier it will be to love yourself fully.
Tips for incorporating self-love into your life:
1) Make time for things that make you happy
It’s important to do things that make you happy and that nurtured your mind, body, and soul. Dedicate time each day to do something that brings you joy.
Enjoying the small moments in your day-to-day, which has been referred to as romanticizing your life, is going to be huge in your journey towards self love.
Whether it’s taking a yoga class, going for a walk in nature, or reading your favorite book, you’ll be surprised how big of a positive change this will bring. It doesn’t even have to take much time as long as you do something every day.
2) Be mindful of your thoughts and feelings
Pay attention to your thoughts and feelings throughout the day. Notice when you’re having negative self-talk and try to reframe your thoughts in a more positive light.
The first step to doing this is to keep a journal or even a note on your phone where you can jot down when you are experiencing negative emotions. This will lead to a greater awareness of how you talk to yourself and can have a huge impact on your life.
One of the beautiful things about being human is that we have the ability to change and grow.
3) Make healthy choices for yourself
Choose things that are good for you, both physically and emotionally. Eating nutritious foods, getting enough sleep, and exercising regularly are some of the first things you should focus on when you want to improve your love for yourself.
If you eat less junk food and move your body more, you’ll be amazed at how much better you feel.
But emotional self-care is just as important. Make sure to nurture your mind and soul by trying to increase your positive feelings and healthy relationships.
4) Be gentle with yourself
Don’t be too hard on yourself if you make a mistake or you’re having a bad day. Be gentle and compassionate with yourself, just as you would with a friend. Remember that you’re human and that it’s okay to make mistakes.
You’ve probably had self esteem issues for a while now so these issues aren’t going to disappear overnight. It’s going to take time to reprogram your brain to change negative thoughts into positive thoughts. Remember, 1% better every day is all you need to do in order to be heading in the right direction.
5) Surround yourself with positive people
Spend time with people who make you feel good about yourself. Avoid toxic relationships and situations that bring you down. Choose to surround yourself with love and positivity.
Being in a healthy relationship versus a negative one can make a huge difference in how you feel about yourself. If you have people in your life that are constantly bringing you down, no wonder you have low self-esteem!
Self-love is essential for self discovery. By asking yourself some simple self-love questions, you can start to uncover aspects of yourself that you never knew before. The goal is to grow in your understanding of who you are and to learn to love yourself more fully. Use these questions as a starting point on your journey of self-love and self-discovery. And remember to be patient, gentle, and kind with yourself along the way.
Until next time,